Our International Tax practice, led by James Cosgrove, has the knowledge and expertise to help our corporate clients who desire to expand their markets beyond the local economy into the global marketplace. There is no hotter topic today than international business as more and more companies seek global markets to remain competitive.
Navigating one’s way around the complex and often nebulous international tax field can be tricky, at best. Doing business internationally requires careful and detailed planning, combined with creative structuring of business operations and transactions to minimize the global tax burden. That is where the experts at DHL&S come in. The tactical and strategic suggestions we provide have helped our clients succeed in the international marketplace, both inbound and outbound.
To assist us in helping our clients in both established and emerging markets around the world, we are independent members of HLB International, which gives us (and you) access to professional services and up-to-date information on business practices and procedures in many foreign countries.
In this context, we have helped our domestic and international clients in the following areas:
- Accounting treatments between jurisdictions
- Tax optimization
- Tax deferral techniques
- Anti-avoidance rules
- Export incentives
- Entity structuring
- International tax law interpretation
- Financial arrangements
- Inpatriate and expatriate tax services
- Changes in regulations and tax laws that affect foreign investment in the U.S.
Who we serve
Our team is currently serving a number of U.S. and foreign companies like the following:
- Equipment manufacturers using contract manufacturers to achieve cost savings
- Service businesses reaching out to apply their special branding to new customers
- Technology companies looking to expand their internet presence or engaging in international licensing of intellectual property for the first time
- Wholesalers looking for new distribution outlets
Our clients do business in Canada, The People’s Republic of China, France, Germany, Ireland,Mexico, Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and others.
What we’ve done
We have many examples of successful engagements, including:
- Giving advice on the formation of U.S. and foreign group structure to achieve the objectives of all parties in a multinational owner setting.
- Interpreting the permanent establishment article of a treaty and state nexus rules to determine what tax exposure a German company had in its first foray into the U.S. market.
- Assisting in a cross-border acquisition, including checking the box for a hybrid entity to achieve overall tax minimization.
For more information, please contact us at (203) 929-3535, or by clicking here.